Kenya is undergoing rapid urbanisation with 30 million people moving into the cities in the next 30 years, creating a demand for urban infrastructure including housing. The current lack of access to decent quality, safe and affordable housing is a recognised social problem, and especially acute for young people.
Over the next few years, Acorn Holdings will invest over $300 million in rental housing in Nairobi focused on Students and Young people. The investment involves acquiring land in the open market next to Universities and other key hubs where young people prefer living, constructing the buildings, leasing out to tenants and then managing the properties on a full services basis for the long term
We are looking for an ambitious, clear-thinking candidate to join our investment team as the Finance Manager-Investment. As a member of the Acorn Investment Management Limited (AIML) team, you will be integral to the establishment of the processes, systems and structure to enable the smooth operations of AIML as an organization. You will drive fund accounting, investor reporting, transactions management, financial operations as well as compliance with the relevant regulator(s)
The successful candidate is highly motivated, dedicated, and ready to take their career to the next level. Must have successful experience in financial services, investment management or similar in the real estate sector
Acorn Investment Management Limited (AIML) is a wholly owned subsidiary of Acorn Holdings
- Preparation of REIT financials, leading to NAV determination as per the reporting framework and as required by REIT regulations
- Design and continuously improve the AIML operating systems, processes and policies (including interface with AHL & AMSL as may be required).
- Lead the reporting process (including statutory and management reports) for AIML (as defined by the reporting framework).
- Ensure compliance with REIT regulations by providing any required regulatory reports on time.
- Provide the necessary inputs to the AHL Finance team for preparation of the annual financial reports for AIML for audit purposes as well as coordinating the audit process.
- Manage AIML bank accounts (including reconciliations as may be necessary).
- Has oversight of the flow of funds between the REITs bank accounts, including:
- Rent Inflow account per property (Trustee controlled I-REIT account)
- Project LLP account (Trustee controlled D-REIT account)
- Investment account (Trustee controlled I-REIT and D-REIT account)
- Property Management account (AMSL controlled account)
- Acts as a liaison with the Finance division of the property manager (AMSL) to ensure accurate and timely submission of monthly reports, filing of statutory returns like Value Added Tax and Withholding tax.
- Manage relationships with all stakeholders i.e. AHL, AMSL, suppliers, Board of Directors, Trustees and consultants.
- Ensure compliance to International Financial Reporting Standards.
- Manage financial risks for the company (risk management).
- Participate in Trustee meetings, board of directors’ meetings, AGMs, road-shows and other relevant meetings and provide feedback on the portfolio, respond to queries etc. as may be required.
- Direct the finance and operations of AIML including serving as an interface between the business and various service providers.
- Constantly seek to improve business operations through system or process enhancements
- Manage and increase the effectiveness and efficiency of Support Services (HR, IT and Finance, legal), through improvements to each function as well as coordination and communication between the business functions.
- University degree in Finance or Accounting.
- Holder of Certified Public Accountant of Kenya, Accounting or any other finance qualifications.
- 6-10 years ‘experience in financial services, investment management or such roles, ideally within the real estate space.
- Business understanding and awareness of all other functions and their interface with the Investment Management business.
- Self-starter with a go-getter attitude and a desire to hold themselves accountable
- Collaborative team player with strong negotiation, communication, and dispute resolution skills.
- The jobholder needs to demonstrate the ability to build strong relationships with priority stakeholders
- High personal and professional integrity and strong work ethics
- Understand the consumer & customer
- Build understanding of consumers/ customers/ suppliers/ stakeholders & leverage this understanding when making business decisions
- Build sustainable relationships with key stakeholders to shape the operating environment
- Address difficult issues proactively when dealing with stakeholders
- Commercial understanding
- Make commercial decisions that impact positively on both short- and long-term bottom line results
- Drive unnecessary costs out of the business
- Ensure the right processes and controls are in place to minimize business exposure to risk
- Collaborate & Influence
- Actively listen and build positively on others ideas
- Exhibit trust, fairness and ethical awareness
- Promote ideas and influence in areas where you do not direct control or authority
- Mobilize and allocate resources effectively to achieve what is best for the business
- Experience Level Senior
- Total Years Experience 5-10