Acorn is looking for a responsible HSSE Officer to facilitate compliance with occupational health and safety (OHS) guidelines in our sites and residences. You will provide advice on measures to minimize hazards or unhealthy situations while minimizing violations of OHS guidelines
The ideal candidate is a responsible individual who is passionate about Health and Safety and is committed to the OSH regulations. Your work will be largely focused on prevention so you need to be conscientious and farsighted with a keen eye for detail and quick response in emergencies.
The goal is to establish a safe workplace in our sites and residences going beyond the set standards to foster a culture of attention to health and safety
- Provide clear leadership to development and construction teams at site in respect of the expectations of the project and its goals and objectives for construction safety performance;
- Ensure contractors comply with the HSSE requirements as documented in the site specific HSSE plan,
- Drive behaviour change at projects that lead to a mature safety culture through the reward scheme and implementation of the consequence management framework,
- Carry out specialist tasks, including system audits, task-based risk assessments, site inspections and 5s inspections.
- Ensure the construction site operate with minimal accidents and incidents
- Carrying out incident investigations and reporting,
- Ensure daily toolbox talks are carried out and appropriate training provided as necessary,
- Ensure the Health, Safety & Security Manager is kept appraised of any key HSSE issues at the construction site.
- Ensure contractor obligations on HSSE matters are adhered to as spelt out in the contract and HSSE company policies
- Prepare weekly, monthly and quarterly site HSSE reports for management review.
- Ensure all safe to work systems are implemented at site including permits to work among others.
- Ensure all findings (audits, inspections) are effectively closed out to prevent recurrence,
- Inspire site team to achieve the safety goals and safety excellence through motivating and encouraging communication
- Bachelor degree (Preferred – science related),
- Recognized certifications in Health, safety and Environment,
- IT proficient – MS Office,
- 3 – 5 years’ experience in a similar role
- Experience in construction industry is a distinct advantage.
- Strong analytical, data gathering and analysis skills with a keen eye for detail
- Excellent communication, presentation, and organizational skills
- Facilitation and training skills to groups with diverse levels of understanding
- Ability to investigate incidents, accidents and near misses.
- Good understanding of safe work practices e.g. use of permit to work systems.
- Good understanding of OSHA, EMCA and its regulations,
- Risk assessment skills.
- Problem solving and conflict resolution skills
- Excellent coordination skills
- Can work under pressure
- Team player
- Courage to stand up for what they believe on safety and doing the right thing
- Ability to influence site staff, contractors and site workers on safe work practices
- Experience Level Junior
- Total Years Experience 0-5